How Doctors Treat Anxiety Attacks
When Should I See a Doctor?
If your life is often interrupted and disturbed by attacks and panic problems, it is probably time to consult a professional.
There is a series of steps that have to be taken for a successful treatment:
- Identify the symptoms with a doctor - Remember that only a trained medical professional can really know if it is Anxiety Attack Disorder.
- Get a treatment program – do not try to self-prescribe these medications.
- Identify the triggers. Knowing what stressors lead to the attacks.
- Life style changes - a healthy lifestyle is a part of every treatment strategy.
A diagnosis might be of different health issue from what you suspect or a change in medication may in fact cure the panic and anxiety attacks.
It is important to document your symptoms before visiting your doctor as you will be prepared to discuss them accurately.
What Will the Doctor Do?
Your doctor will probably run blood checks and medical tests to rule out any associated medical conditions first.
There are several other non-related illnesses and some medicines that might have side effects resembling panic attack symptoms.
There are also several physical conditions that can cause anxiety attacks or an anxiety attack disorder.
A few examples are:
- Low blood sugar levels
- Certain heart conditions
- Too much caffeine
- Overactive thyroid gland
These conditions and others can lead to anxiety attacks and may be at the root of the problem.
What Danger Signs should I Know About?
There are some signs or “red flags” to consider when determining if you are a candidate for a mental health professional that include:
- Feeling unable to work,
- Feeling unable to keep your normal behavior patterns
- Feeling unable to keep your normal appearance or hygiene patterns
- Cutting off social connections
- Trouble sleeping
- Trouble eating
- Trouble bathing
There are many other possibilities but anxiety needs to be considered.
Although stress is a regular, and normal part of every day life, for many of us the stress levels tend to skyrocket every now and then.
It is important to deal with the stress related problems by understanding and starting an anxiety attack treatment if the need arises.